Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Writing Journals

I have started a writing journal.

I owe it to Susan Dennard, writing and blogging extraordinaire, and her posts here and here. To Ms. Dennard, I am eternally grateful.

I have no idea if it'll last, but for the past two weeks, I've been pushing myself everyday to work on my novel. (This novel, Untitled, is something I wrote during NaNoWriMo of April 2014. It was not very good, so now I'm trying to make it better.) Usually before bed every night, I plan something, create a few more characters and map them out, or write a scene. Then, I catalog what I did to move forward, how I felt about it, and what I need to accomplish next.

This surprisingly easy way of listing out what I do and what I need to do has been extremely successful.

Not only has writing in a journal kept me on task, but it's also psychologically pushed me to write or work on my story even when I don't want to. I look forward to getting the chance to brag about my success or complain about my lack of motivation. I find it attaches me to my work more and more as well as loosens my creativity.

Last night, I wrote something I was really proud of. To anyone increasing their productivity, I highly recommended this method of documenting your process.
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

No comments:

Post a Comment